Suitable for Upper Intermediate/Advanced TEFL students.
Nitin Sawhney is a British Indian producer, musician and composer. He explores music from all cultures and traditions. Listen to him describe his musical work for the BBC Series the Human Planet.
1. Check out what a 'composer' and a 'musician' and a 'producer' are if you are not sure.
2. Find out what 'score' means.
How many different definitions can you find in the Macmillan English Online Dictionary?
We are talking about a musician in this article so which definition do you think is the correct one here.
Can you also find phrasal verbs and a phrase?
Make notes in your vocabulary book.
Add your own words if you can think of them.
3. Nitin's language and phrasing is very descriptive. Click on the title link above and listen out for the following phrases:-
- 'panorama of human emotion'
What is a 'a panorama' and what do you think Nitin means by the whole phrase?
- 'vocabulary (appropriate sounds) to connect up a common narrative'
Find out what 'narrative' means and then try to interpret the whole phrase
- 'musical motifs'
Find another word or synonym for 'motif'? Try to interpret the whole phrase.
- Finally, Nitin describes his music for the Human Planet series as 'a unique sound with a feeling of timelessness'
Break down the word 'timelessness'. 'Time' you probably know and 'less' also so what do they mean together: 'Timeless' literally means without time. It is a quality something has; it never changes as time passes by. We can say ' the music had a timeless feeling'. If we rephrase this and change the word order of the phrase around. We can also say ' the music had a feeling of timelessness'. Another associated word with this particular word family is 'timelessly'.
Which is the adjective, which is the adverb and which is the uncountable noun?
Define the word 'unique'?
'Unique' is another adjective. Can you derive the adverb and the uncountable noun as described above (hint do not get confused and put the word 'less' in).